Here John writes to a commend Gaius, condemn Demetrius, and warn about Diotrephes. We can learn the following:
- We should show support and love for teachers of the truth, like Gaius did.
- When we support others like that, we become coworkers with them.
- “The Name.” How cool is that! But why? “And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among people by which we must be saved” (Acts 4:12).
- We can tell who is following God by the way they act and by what they believe. In fact, believing “the truth” is its own testimony!
- We may need to point out others who are disruptive and antagonistic for the good of the church. They are examples to avoid!
- Instead, we imitate those who are doing good, and show that we ourselves have an authentic relationship with God.