Paul gives some specific instructions to Timothy regarding the governance of the church that should guide us as well:
- Respect everyone in the congregation.
- Take care of those who don’t have anyone to take care of them. But even then, they should be trying to follow God.
- Younger widows are expected to marry again. No widows are to engage in immorality!
- Although there is a plurality of elders in the church, recognize the ones who lead well, especially those who are teaching elders. They are to be recompensed for their service.
- Accusations against elders need to be verified. If true, then the offending party should be rebuked.
- Do not show favoritism in the church.
- Be careful about elevating others to leadership. Make sure they are worthy. Sometimes it can be difficult to tell!