Paul gives us some general guidelines for prayer and witnessing:
- But we need to be thankful when we pray. Prayer is more than just asking God for things.
- Pray for those who share the Word. Here it is in a missionary context, but it is also important in a ministry context. Pray that ministers and missionaries will have the opportunity and the faithfulness that they need.
- We also have the opportunity to share about Jesus! We need to be careful how we act and watch how we speak so that we make the most of every opportunity.
Paul’s conclusion reminds us that:
- We’re not alone. We need to share with one another and care about one another.
- Even though Paul ministered primarily to the Gentiles, some Jews did convert, and some ministered beside him as well!
- Epaphras’ prayer for the Colossians should become our prayer for others: “that you may stand mature and fully assured in all the will of God.“
- Paul wanted them to share his words with other churches. That faithfulness is why we’ve been able to assemble so many different books/letters into our New Testament. Copies upon copies upon copies were made and passed around. Those copies were preserved by the Spirit and recognized as inspired by the early church. The sheer number and correlation of the various manuscripts helps us to be confident that we have the intact Word of God passed on to us!
For worship (again!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-dtRO66cDA