It would be very easy to spend hours and hours going over the first chapter of Ephesians! Here are a few themes that should have jumped out at you:
- God’s sovereignty.
- The preeminence of Jesus Christ! He is the head of all things, especially the church.
- The fact that we are blessed beyond belief.
- The same power that raised Jesus from the dead is displayed through our salvation. We are literally miracles of redemption!
This miracle of redemption is further explained by Paul revealing how much God has done for those who believe:
- God “chose us in Christ” (4).
- It was “according to the pleasure of His will” (5).
- He revealed the secret of His will to us (8).
- We were predestined to be His children (5).
- God has enlightened the eyes of our hearts (18).
- He claims us as His own possession (11).
- Because He “accomplishes all things according to the counsel of His will” (11).
- He seals us with the Spirit so that we are His forever (13-14).
Our salvation is all about God, and not about us! I believe that Paul also shows us something else that is important here. We should make sure that we pray for other believers to “know what is the hope of His calling, what is the wealth of His glorious inheritance in the saints, and what is the incomparable greatness of His power toward us that believe.”