Some notes on chapter 1:
- Notice where Paul’s apostleship comes from (1)!
- Galatia is a region, not a city (2).
- “Who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from this present evil age according to the will of our God and Father” (4). What a description of salvation!
- Notice that we are living in a “present evil age.”
- Paul is writing because they are being deceived by false teachers who are teaching another gospel (6-10). As we’ll learn later, they were teaching that Jesus isn’t enough and that his sacrifice on the cross didn’t fully atone for sin. You had to keep the law too!
- How serious is it? Paul says this about false teachers: “let him be condemned to hell” (8).
- Paul’s comments in 1:1 are now explained (11-24). God miraculously saved him and made him a missionary to the Gentiles (16). Paul’s authority comes from God, not man!
In our own lives, we need to be concerned about pleasing and following God (10). The truth is the truth, and we need to stand firm on it!