This entire passage focuses on love and obedience (many of the following points are expressed multiple times in the passage):
- If we love Jesus, we will obey Him and keep His commandments.
- But they’re not just His commandments, because He speaks for the Father.
- In fact, if we’ve seen Jesus, we’ve seen the Father too!
- By loving Jesus we show our love to the Father, and the Father will love us as well.
- Even though Jesus will leave this earth, He’s doing it for a purpose. He is preparing a place for us, both by enabling us to have a community of faith to belong to, and by giving us a place to be for eternity.
- The resurrection will encourage us to believe the truth of what He said and the truth about Him.
- And we’re not going to be alone! He will be with us though the power of the Spirit, who will help us to believe and to obey.
- This knowledge, coupled with our obedience, brings us peace.
Jesus also gives us some additional guidance here:
- He reminds us that He is the only way to have a relationship with the Father with the sixth “I am” statement: “I am the way, the truth, and the life.”
- He says that those who believe in Him will do “the works that I do, and even greater things” (my translation). We see this happen in the book of Acts. While we don’t see everyone performing miracles today, we can all be merciful, we can all obey, and we can all be a part of the miraculous work of salvation if we’ll share the truth about Jesus.
- If we ask for anything in His name we will receive it. Asking in His name means asking according to His character. We ask for what the Son wants and what glorifies the Father. Those prayers are always answered!