Psalm 119 (The Daily Walk Bible).
I’m going to assume that most of us skipped the introductory material in our devotional Bible, so I’m going to share it here:
Bible reading is more than a pleasant pastime. It can become a daily habit that will change your life. God’s Word holds out the promise of rich benefits for those who spend time reading it and taking its truths to heart. Here are just seven of the many ways your life can be better as you make the Bible your daily reading companion. All seven come from Psalm 119—a magnificent song of praise for God’s Word.
- The Bible will help keep you from sin. “I have hidden your
word in my heart, that I might not sin against you” (verse 11).
- The Bible will lift your burdens. “I weep with sorrow;
encourage me by your word” (verse 28).
- The Bible will guide your steps. “Your word is a lamp to guide
my feet and a light for my path” (verse 105).
- The Bible will bring you joy. “Your laws are my treasure; they
are my heart’s delight” (verse 111).
- The Bible will lead you to wisdom. “The teaching of your word
gives light, so even the simple can understand” (verse 130).
- The Bible will give you peace. “Those who love your
instructions have great peace and do not stumble” (verse 165).
There is something else neat that our devotional doesn’t make clear. Yes, it is an acrostic, or alphabetic, psalm. Its has 22 stanzas, each beginning with a letter of the Hebrew alphabet, in sequence. What is more, each stanza has eight lines, and each of the eight lines in a stanza begins with the same letter!